Thursday, October 9, 2008

Prayer against illness

Ok, so I have been doing a little reading since Bethany pointed out that sickness can be caused by our spiritual enemy. I know this probably sounds really weird to many who read this. I found a story in Luke (who was a doctor to my understanding) that kind of speak to this:

Jesus Heals a Woman on the Sabbath
10Jesus5 was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. 11A woman was there who had a spirit that had disabled her for eighteen years. She was hunched over and completely unable to stand up straight. 12When Jesus saw her, he called to her and said, "Woman, you are free from your illness." 13Then he placed his hands on her, and immediately she stood up straight and began praising God.

14But the synagogue leader, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, told the crowd, "There are six days when work is to be done. So come on those days to be healed, and not on the Sabbath day." 15The Lord replied to him, "You hypocrites! Doesn't each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or donkey and lead it out of the stall to give it some water? 16Shouldn't this woman, a descendant of Abraham whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free from this bondage on the Sabbath day?" 17Even as he was saying this, all of his opponents were blushing with shame. But the entire crowd was rejoicing at all the wonderful things he was doing.


So, thinking about what we learned in Prayer Mapping a couple weeks ago, I'm going to pray this over myself and my team as I know others on the team are experiencing some sickness:

Abba Father, I praise you for the opportunity to travel to Mali and share your love with the people there. I come before you today feeling sick and exhausted. With the authority you have given to me through your son Jesus, I bind the spirit of sickness that is attacking my and some team member's physical body right now and send it to the feet of Jesus. I loose the spirit of healing power of Jesus Christ that Luke speaks of to work in our lives, freeing our bodies from the sickness we're feeling, that we may remain physically and spiritually strong for the trip to Mali. You said in James 5:15 that "such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick". Because of the faith our team shares in you, I pray that you will heal us from this sickness. Thank you in advance for the healing you are going to do in our bodies! Amen

This isn't anything to profound, but it's kind of right to the point. I know God will heal my body and protect me as I head to Africa.