Monday, March 7, 2011

Praise God!

Saturday evening started Missions Festival at our church. This is a yearly celebration of what Christ is doing through missionaries and ordinary people throughout the world. Saturday night kicked off with the men's Prime Rib Dinner. Well, rumor has it the Chick-fil-A cows flooded out the business that makes the prime rib and therefore, we had barbecued chicken instead. There really was a flood, but I don't think the Chick-fil-A cows were involved. Anyway, at the dinner, they shared about the phone project and the goal of $5,000. They asked the men in attendance to consider throwing a few dollars or even their pocket change in toward this goal.

Sunday morning, they announced in the church service that God did a miracle and $1,200 was given toward the project, bringing the grand total over the $5,000 goal. God is amazing. I think sometimes I try to limit what God can do and it's silly of me to do that. He always comes through in ways we can't imagine! My jaw dropped and tears of joy flowed when I heard this announcement of what God chose to do through those 400 men in attendance Saturday night!

Sunday night, we had another dinner at church. This time, it was Thai food and it was great! I'd never had Thai, but I'm ready to visit the local Thai restaurant now! The guests spoke about going all out for God. Their stories included things like giving up huge job opportunities to serve God in a much lower paying job that may not have as many opportunities for advancement. They also told of how they have used Ebay to sell "junk" that's been laying around a church camp in order to purchase new, useful items for the camp! In the end, it was all brought back around to the story of the parable of the talents where the master entrusts his servants with varying amounts of money and leaves on a trip. Ultimately it comes down to what will we do with what God gives to us. This may be money or it may be a skill or job.

So, it's got me thinking about what I am doing with the things God has given me. At the same time, I'm thinking through what more I could be doing with the things God has entrusted me with. It's important to invest those things into growing the kingdom of God!

We're leaving in less than 2 weeks for Mali, West Africa! God will use the time we spend there in many ways. My prayer is that the work I do there, through God, will be a small part of growing His kingdom in Mali!

Keep your eyes peeled! You never know when God's going to use you or do a miracle around you!

No comments: